Zesty, crunchy and oh so tasty!
- 125g Soft Butter
- 40g White Caster Sugar
- 40g Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Lemon Essence
- 100g Crushed meringue
- 175g Self Raising Flour
You can also use Muscovado Sugar as a substitute for the brown sugar if you want your biscuits to have a more intense flavour.
- Preheat the oven to 170 °C/ Gas Mark 3. Make sure you have a baking sheet lined or greased ready for the biscuits later.
- Cream the butter until it is malleable and smooth. If at first it is hard to cream it might be worth zapping it in the microwave for about 5 seconds just to soften it up a bit. (Make sure you use a heat proof bowl if you choose to do this.)
- Now add in the sugar along with the lemon essence and continue to mix.
- When your mixture is starting to look like dough fold in the meringue and remove it from the bowl. Place on a flat surface that has been well dusted with flour. Roll into a long even cylinder and cut it into 16 evenly spaced circles. Place each onto the ready lined baking tray and position a pecan half on each (make sure they are spaced out on the baking tray, about 4cm, as they will broaden).
- Cook for 15 minutes. In order to confirm they are cooked pick one up and check that it is no longer doughy on the bottom. Once they are cooked remove from the oven and after a few minutes transfer to a wire rack. Allow to cool.
-Recipe adapted from Maple and Pecan Biscuits.